Cheetah Plains Luxury Game Lodge is everything you want from an African bush experience and then some more.
Situated in the renowned Sabi Sands Game reserve, the easiest way to get to Cheetah Plains is by air but you can also get there by self drive or transfers.
SA Airlink, Federal air and General air are all good options for flying into the area. Nearby airports include Arathusa Airstrip approximately a 20 minute drive within the reserve, Hoedspruit Airport a 1.5 hour drive and Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport 3 hour drive.
Walking into one of the 3 private bush houses is a sensory experience with local artists work adding depth to the minimalistic interior and the inside flowing seamlessly out into nature. If you are looking for a personalised experience almost like a choose your own adventure luxury safari this is for you.
Each exclusive use house has a private heated swimming pool, boma, wine cellar and even a designated field guide for the duration of your stay. Your private chef will create delicious meals keeping in mind all requirements and cocktails will be whipped up whenever you feel like it.
What I loved
- The gym facilities which is to me something totally new to the game lodge experience.
- Getting a private massage on your room deck with nyalas casually strolling past. They have spa therapists on hand for anything you might need, so there is no excuse not to indulge with a bit of pampering post morning game drive!
- Every house has a different name, view and local art which makes it really one of a kind.
- Each guest receives an iphone 10 for the duration of their stay. It already has birding apps, instagram and all the other necessities installed!
The Game Drives
Sabi Sands is known for their great big five sightings and I have to agree. In our first 24 hours we had already spotted all of the big five and countless other animals and birds. Our guide and tracker worked together to get us to some great thrilling sightings and had a lot of knowledge about the animals and environment as well.
Wild dogs on the hunt at sunset, glimpses of buffalo as lightning strikes on a dark stormy night drive, a baby elephant exploring its new home. These were just a few epic experiences we had while out on game drives.
One of the coolest things about Cheetah Plains is that you get to go on your game drives in an electric game viewing vehicle. Toyota land cruisers that have been modified with a Tesla battery are so silent that even the animals have trouble hearing you as you stealthily make your way through the bush. Not only is it electric but it’s also really powerful and comfortable with heated seats for chilly mornings and USB charging stations.
What I loved
- That each private game vehicle comes with a top of the range camera and lens for guests to use while out on drives.
- The sundowner snacks went beyond the usual biltong and nuts and included interesting options catering for a variety of palettes and dietary requirements
- The guides had great knowledge about the area and the animals and they always tried to make sightings interesting and educational.
- Each guest had access to a great pair of binoculars as well as animal and birding books.