Before heading to Doha to go explore with Michael for a few days I had trouble deciding what to pack. Qatar is a Muslim country and to respect their culture and traditions its important to dress conservatively.
After my initial panic I actually found that I had plenty of stylish but slightly more conservative outfits to wear. You can wear what you like at the hotels but I still found it more respectful to not wear tight or revealing outfits. The most skin I showed was while wearing my swimsuit at the pool!
What to wear in Doha
On the first day I wore a wrap around dress that covered my shoulders and my knees in a nice light material. I choose this dress as we were visiting a cultural village and going to a Souq for dinner. This was one of my favorite outfits as it was perfect for the heat and I never felt out of place with what I was wearing.
The next day we went to the museum of Islamic art and for a Dhow cruise. For the museum I just pulled my off the shoulder top onto my shoulders and I also had a scarf ready in my bag if that wasn’t enough. Everyone was really friendly though and no one looked at me strangely so I guess it was all good! Because we were alone on the Dhow I pulled the top off my shoulders for some photos.
We also went on a dessert safari for a sunset and dinner at a camp. I knew I wanted some flowy dress photos so I chose one with longer sleeves. It was a bit revealing at the front so I wore a black tank top underneath and that worked really well! If I had time I would have definitely bought some more maxi dresses and kaftan type dresses before our trip!
Skirts with off the shoulder tops seems to have been my staple! It was so easy just to throw a nice scarf over my shoulders and it also helped when the aircon inside was a bit chilly!
At the hotel I wore a full swimsuit to the pool although plenty of other people were walking around with bikinis. I also covered up with a kaftan while walking around.
Things to remember
- Always head out with a scarf in your bag! Its great to use as a cover up just in case and also perfect in Winter when the weather cools down at night.
- Loose flowy clothing options are your best bet. Its comfortable and easy to layer.
- Don’t wear leggings in public unless you are wearing a dress or top that covers to your thighs.
- Beaded sandals can take you from day to night and it pairs really well with long skirts and dresses.
- Guys also need to wear t-shirts and longer length shorts when going out during the day.
- If in doubt ask someone, I am sure they will be more than happy to assist you.