While there is plenty to do in Cape Town itself it is sometimes nice to venture out just a bit further. Day trips are easy to plan and perfect for anyone that doesn’t have the time to stay over somewhere.
Here are some great places to explore that are less than three hours or less to get to from Cape Town.
If you are in the mood for a scenic route then take a drive along the Cape Peninsula’s rugged coastline. It is definitely one of my favorite things to do on a beautiful day as the views are endless and there is so much to see!
- Drive on one of the most beautiful coastal roads in the world, Chapmans Peak drive. Just remember to bring cash or a credit card as there is a toll you have to pay to drive on the road.
- Visit the Slangkop lighthouse in Kommetjie.
- Stop at the beautiful Misty Cliffs
- Spend some time at the Cape Point National Park. You can go up the funicular called the Flying Dutchman, go for hikes, look at the wildlife and have a lovely lunch.
- Enjoy some time at the Boulders Penguin Colony in Simons Town. Blue water and cute penguins are always a winning combination.
- Have cocktails at Cape to Cuba in Kalk Bay.
- Take some photos at the colourful beach houses in Muizenberg and maybe get your surf on if you are feeling adventurous!
I absolutely adore heading up the West Coast of Cape Town with its unspoilt beaches and quaint fishing villages. There is also loads to do and perfect for a quick getaway from Cape Town.
- Have an ice-cream and look at the iconic view of Table Mountain from Blouberg.
- Spend the day at the West Coast National Park. It’s one of my favorite places ever mostly because of the gorgeous tidal lagoon. Go to a beach called Kraalbaai on a hot day and you wont want to leave!
- Eat at the Noisy Oyster in Paternoster. Booking is essential at this unique restaurant.
- Take a walk on Yzerfontein beach ( the longest stretch of beach in South Africa! )
- Go kitesurfing in Langebaan.
- Visit the West Coast Fossil Park ( it’s really cool and so interesting! )
The Cape Winelands consists of a lot more towns than just Franschhoek snd Stellenbosch but if you are looking for a day trip within 40 minutes from Cape Town city center these are your best bet.
- Walk around the stunning gardens at Babylonstoren and have lunch at one of their amazing restaurants.
- Hop on the wine tram and experience a few tastings at different wine estates.
- Drive up the Franschhoek pass and enjoy the spectacular views. Just watch out for the baboons that sit on the side and sometimes in the road.
- Cycle through the historic Stellenbosch and soak up the culture.
- Go explore Jonkershoek nature reserve.
- Have a spa day at Lanzerac wine estate
- Visit art galleries in Stellenbosch
- If you are into cars then the Franschhoek motor museum is a must do.
- Do a nougat and bubbly tasting at JC Le Roux
- Eat at any of the absolutely amazing restaurants in the area!
Follow the very pretty Clarence drive out of Cape Town and into the beautiful Overberg area. You can make your way along the coast all the way to Cape Agulhas if you want but usually Hermanus is a better turn around point for a day trip.
- Explore the Walkers Bay Nature reserve
- Have lunch in the quaint little town of Standford
- Do whale watching between June and December
- Have a swim in the Hermanus Lagoon
- Check out the caves in De Kelders
- Have a Honey Blonde craft beer at the Birkenhead Brewery
- Go zip lining in Hermanus